Author: Larry Ely
The first time I rode a zip-line, I screamed as I flew though the forest and then started to enjoy the amazing ride. As I emerged from the trees, I became nervous again as the zip-line screamed over Lake Champion and quickly descended to a stop in the water. What a rush! It was super-fun and scary at the same time. Some of my favorite zip-lines are the ones that go side-by-side and you can race your friends. It takes a fair amount of courage to take that first step off the platform and trust that your harness will hold you up and keep you safe.
Actually, having the right equipment makes all the difference. Wearing a certified harness and helmet, using carabiner clips and tethers with the right load ratings, and a properly designed pulley all make for a fun safe ride. On the other hand, sub standard gear and sketchy zip-line mountings make for a terrifying if not disastrous experience. When your life is literally on the line, being properly equipped is essential.
In regard to our faith, being properly equipped in our spiritual life is essential as well. One of the major ways that we can equip ourselves is by reading and studying the Bible. Check out what the Apostle Paul has to say about the purposes of Scripture:
- “You have been taught the holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.” -2 Timothy 3:15-17
Purposes of Scripture:
- To Give us wisdom to receive salvation
- To Teach us the truth
- To Realize our sin
- To Correct us
- To Equip us
The Bible is our guidebook for life and one of the most essential pieces of equipment for growing in our faith. So let me encourage you to get into God’s Word this week. Find a topic to study or pick a book of the Bible to read. Do it on your own or invite a friend to join you. Either way, make a plan, set a goal, read it, and then share it.
Thought for the day…
- How has the Bible helped and equipped you in your own life?
- How can you use what you have learned to help equip others?
Bible Reading Plans:
- Download the Bible App and pick a devotional plan to read
- Go to Biblegateway.com and pick a plan
- Miracle Camp Bible Reading Plans
Text & Image: © 2019 Amplify Ministries